My last battle

My last battle
This is me fighting in my final battle against the dragon.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Unferth

I, along with many others, am listening to Unferth and I can tell he is jealous that my glory and fame is greater than his own. He is telling me about my swimming match against Brecca. I am confused as to why he is telling me of my match with Brecca, seeing that I was in the match for myself! I am fully aware of Brecca’s doings but I shall very kindly and calmly tell him off. “Ah! Unferth, my friend, your face is hot with ale, and your tongue has tried to tell us about Brecca’s doings. But the truth is simple: no man swims in the sea as I can, no strength is a match for mine.” (lines 530-534) Does he not realize that I chose to stay at his side? Brecca could not, at any point, leave me behind or swim faster than I. Brecca and I remained together for five nights and we were only separated because of a flood. After we were separated, I was the one who fought off sea monsters who seized me and took me to the bottom of the sea. It was not Brecca who fought off sea monsters as I did. Brecca’s battles have never been as bold as the battles I have fought. Hrothgar is one of the people here and seems to be pleased, after hearing me respond to Unferth’s comments, and he is now as positive as I that the monster Grendel can and shall be killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment