My last battle

My last battle
This is me fighting in my final battle against the dragon.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Beginning of My Battles

I am, Beowulf, the strongest of the Geats. I have “heard how Grendel filled nights with horror” (line 197). I am traveling with fourteen of the bravest and best of the Geats I could gather to the Danish shore where I shall go to their famous king, Hrothgar. We have just arrived and they are asking who we are and why we have come, so I shall tell them. “We are Geats, men who follow Higlac. My father was a famous soldier, known far and wide as a leader of men. His name was Edgetho.” (lines 260-263) The Danish warrior told us how to reach Hrothgar. We have made it to Hrothgar and I tell him why I have come. “Lord and protector of this noble place, a single request! I have come so far, o shelter of warriors and your people’s loved friend, that this one favor you should not refuse me that I, alone and with the help of my men, may purge all evil from this hall. I have heard, too, that the monster’s scorn of my men is so great that he needs no weapons and fears none.” (lines 430-434) Hrothgar invited my men and I to a banquet in my honor to discuss the future. I am thrilled that Hrothgar has now granted my request.

1 comment: